Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: Big Sky Mountain by Linda Lael Miller

Big Sky Mountain
Linda Lael Miller
Series: Swoon-Worthy Cowboys #2
Publisher: HQN
Publish Date: July 31, 2012
Mass Market Paperback {p.378}
Source: Publisher
Genre: Contemporary, Western
Kendra Shepherd, Hutch Carmody
Challenge: 100+
Buy the Book: Amazon

With his rugged good looks, vast wealth and family name, hell-raiser Hutch Carmody is still the golden boy of Parable, Montana. But he's done some growing up—making peace with his illegitimate half brother and inheriting half of Whisper Creek Ranch, which should have been all his. These days, Hutch knows there are some things money can't buy: like the heart of loving, ladylike divorcĂ©e Kendra Shepherd.

Kendra's quiet mansion reminds her of what she wants most—a devoted husband and the pitter-patter of little feet. She can't get Hutch Carmody out of her mind. But a rough-and-tumble cowboy like Hutch, coming home for family dinner? Seems crazy! Then again, crazier dreams have become reality under the vast Montana sky.
This insatllment picks up at least nine months down the road. Hutch is engaged to Brylee, whom I don't recall from the previous novel. Of course that doesn't work out because he's still in love with Kendra. As she is with him.

The story opens up great, but then starts to lag. It didn't quite hold my attention like the previous one. Kendra and Hutch are both great, as is Madison, Kendra's daughter, but I never really warmed up to them or became invested. I was glad things worked out for them, but I didn't feel they resolved anything.

Hutch was amazing with Madison and that only made him more appealing. As for the secondary characters, Walker and Boone, one I liked and one I didn't. I'm looking forward to getting to know Walker's story. The whole dynamic of him and Casey seems promising. Boone on the other hand, has lost all points with mewhen I found out he has children that he gave away. At first I was sympathic, but then when his son doesn't even consider him as his father and Boone doesn't take steps to remedy that, that is when I washed my hands of him.

It will be interesting to see how Miller is able to redeem him. I'm sure she will because if there is anyone who can, it's Miller. She's one writer that knows how to write one fine cowboy.
Book Obsessed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...