Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Review: Black Ties and Lullabies by Jane Graves

Black Ties and Lullabies
Jane Graves
Publisher: Forever
Publication Date: June 28, 2011
Mass Market Paperback {p.387}
Source: Publisher
Genre: Contemporary
Characters: Bernadette Hogan, Jeremy Bridges
Challenge: 100+, Summer Romance

A good girl can be bad for one night...

Bernadette Hogan doesn't make mistakes. Not when it comes to caring for her mother, and not at her job protecting Texas's most eligible—and infuriating—bachelor. Maybe that's why she's overcome with guilt after one tiny indiscretion: a passionate fling with her boss that's left her confused, intrigued...and pregnant.

but can a bad boy be good for a lifetime?

To self-made millionaire Jeremy Bridges, women are like fine wine: if held for too long, they sour. But one wild night with Bernadette changed all that. She makes him laugh, she makes him think, and soon she's going to make him a father. For the first time, Jeremy wants to be a one-woman man. So how can he convince the fiercely independent Bernadette he's ready to change from partying playboy to dependable dad—and become the loving husband she deserves?

Black Ties and Lullabies had me laughing throughout the entire story. Bernie, Jeremy's bodyguard, is only putting up with him because she needs the money to care for her ailing mother. Bernie can't stand his womanizer ways and controlling attitude. One night her anger gets the best of her, and she ends up pregnant by Jeremy.

I love these two together because from their outward appearance you would never paired them together. Once they really got to know each other it became clear that they were made for one another. There was a genuine affection underneath all their arguing and snarky comments.

The side characters, Bernie's mother Elenor and Jeremy's new bodyguard Max, to be more precise, offered additional laugh out loud moments. Elenor reminded me of most mothers who are pushing their children for grandchildren.

This is my first time reading this author and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I can't wait to read more from her, but in the meantime I guess I'll just have to read her backlist.
Book Obsessed

4 comments:

Book Bound Musings said...[Reply]

It seems interesting! Thanks for the review.

Stopping by from Cym Lowell's Book Review Party.


Book Bound Musings
http://bookboundmusings.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-chasing-perfect-by-susan-mallery.html

Sarah (The Brazen Bookworm) said...[Reply]

I just stumbled upon Jane Graves a few weeks ago and couldn't believe I've never read her before! Glad I'm not the only one who's missed her so far.

I literally read four of her books (including this one) in the course of a weekend and she had me cracking up the whole time. I may also have teared up a few times. ;) Graves is definitely one of my new favorites.

Kate Maxwell said...[Reply]

This sounds like a good book. I love a good laugh!

Kristina said...[Reply]

This one looks like a really cute read! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...