Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith


Publish Date: April 2, 2013
Kindle {p. 416}
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Ellie O'Neill, Graham Larkin

If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

I was immediately drawn into this story. Graham was a hit for me throughout. I felt bad for him, even though he was a big-time movie star, he seemed to lead a very solitary life.

At first I was a bit confused as to why they continued to emailing each other. Only because I found myself wondering what teenagers still use email as a form of communication when things like text and IM exist. Sure, adults emailing is believable but teenagers, not likely. But once I set that aside, I truly enjoyed their email exchange.

At times I would get annoyed with Ellie and her behavior, but then at others I felt bad for her as well. The secret that her mother was making her keep was entirely wrong on her mother's part. That is such a heavy burden to lay on a child at an early age.

I did feel that the ending was a letdown. It provided no closure and was rather abrupt. I would have liked to see some of the loose ends tied up, not only with Ellie and Graham's relationship, but the relationship of Ellie and her dad. But other than that, it was a great, light read.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...[Reply]

I liked this book a lot. I liked the way the book ended because it was open to possibilities. Maybe there will be a sequel.

Julie said...[Reply]

This does sound like a fun read. I don't mind when EVERYthing is not tied up, but I'd like to see SOMEthing tied up! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...