Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Review: The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden (The Coincidence, #1)
Publish Date: December 13, 2012
Trade Paperback {p.353}
Genre: New Adult
Series:  The Coincidence #1
Source: Personal Library
Callie Lawrence, Kayden Owens

For Kayden, suffering in silence was the only way to survive. If he was lucky, he could keep his head down, do as he was told, and make it through the day. But one night it seemed like his luck-and his life-might finally end... until an angel named Callie appeared just in time to rescue him.

Callie has never believed in luck. Not since her twelfth birthday when everything was taken from her. After the worst was over, she locked up her feelings and vowed never to tell anyone what happened. Now, six years later, she continues to struggle with the painful secret that threatens to consume her.

When fate lands Kayden and Callie at the same college, Kayden is determined to get to know the beautiful girl who changed his destiny. Quiet and reserved, Callie still fears letting anyone else into her world. But Kayden is certain that Callie has come back into his life for a reason. And the more he tries to be a part of her life, the more he realizes that, this time, it's Callie who needs to be saved...


Callie's dark secret was something that I quickly figured out and the cause of it. I spent a lot of the book upset with her family, but mostly her mother and brother. And when Kayden enters the picture, of course his secret is also immediately made aware during the circumstance in which they truly meet.

Both of them are well written, dark characters. At times there were some scenes of Callie alone that were pretty tough to handle, that I found myself wanting to skip them. I so wanted her to overcome this aspect of her secret.

The supporting characters, Seth and Luke, were great as well. Although I spent most of the book feeling as though Seth was the only one without major issues. But reading the story, you know that he does indeed have his own problems but I guess he was the most together of all of them. Or he was hiding his very well.

Kayden I absolutely adored. He too had issues I hoped he'd overcome. I just wanted him to stand up for himself and take his life back. Callie seemed to give him reason to just that.

This was not my typical read in the fact that it was more dark than I'm used to. With that said, I do want to continue with the next installment to see becomes of these two. I want both Callie and Kayden's dark secrets to be exposed in an effort to provide them with healing. I want Callie's mom to pull her head out of the sand and realize that bad things happen and by not watching the nightly news doesn't change that fact. And for her brother to stop blaming Callie for her behavior and her mother's ways of handling Callie's behavior.


1 comments:

grammajudyb said...[Reply]

I've had this one on my TBR list for some time. I don't actually own a copy, but want to read it. I think I was smitten by the cover. Now that you say it is SUPERB, I will definitely move it closer to the top. Thanks for the review.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...