Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Tangled Up In You by Rachel Gibson

Tangled Up In You
Rachel Gibson {Blog | Facebook | Myspace}
Series: Writer Friends #3
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July 31, 2007
Audio Book {9 hrs}
Source: Public Library
Genre: Contemporary
Characters: Madeline Jones, Mick Hennessey
Challenge: 100+, Whisper Stories
My Rating:

Maddie is determined to uncover the untold story about the town's sordid past—her past. As a child, Maddie lost everything, and now she's back at the scene of the scandal—a local establishment that's always belonged to the Hennessys—determined to uncover the truth, and nothing is going to stand in her way. Especially not a black-haired, blue-eyed Hennessy.

Everyone in Truly knows that the Hennessy men are irresistible, and the current owner, Mick, is no exception. His late father was a skirt-chasing heartbreaker who ended up causing disaster for two families. So far, Mick's managed to keep the ladies in line, but when he claps eyes on Maddie, with her luscious curves and tempting lips, he can't resist getting tangled up with her.

But Maddie is keeping secrets, not the least of which is her true reason for being in town. And when Mick discovers what‘s really going on, there is going to be a whole lot of trouble in Truly.

Madeline goes to Truly, Idaho in an effort to get answers about her mother’s death for her true crime novel. There she meets the children of the man her mother was having an affair with, whose wife killed them both and then herself.

Maddie doesn’t expect to like Mick because she assumes he’s just like his cheating father. But after spending time with him, she not only likes him, but starts to love him.

Mick and his sister Meg seem to have two totally different ways of dealing with what their mother did all those years ago. Meg is constantly reliving it, trying to justify her mother’s actions, while Mick wants to forget it ever happened. It isn’t until he finds out the true identity of Maddie, that she is the daughter of the “waitress” that his mother killed for sleeping with his father that Mick starts to really deal with what happened to his parents.

I really liked Maddie. She was very likeable and Ms. Gibson did a great job in getting the reader to know Maddie. I enjoyed her quirky, funny analogies and sense of humor. She was very independent and let Mick know from the start that she wasn’t looking for the white picket fence of happily ever after.

Rachel Gibson’s style of writing keeps you fully engrossed in the story, but laughing along the way.


Read by Nicole Poole
Duration: 9 hours

The narrator had a somewhat dry tone, but it went with some of the dry humor of the story. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the narrator, but she’s not one of those chipper upbeat narrators. Her tone reminds me a little of the late Kate Fleming.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Brie said...[Reply]

Hey there! This book has been in my TBR pile for years but I read the first two on the series (Sex, Lies and Online Dating, and I’m In No Mood for Love) and didn’t really like them, although of all the friends I liked Maddie the best. Maybe I will give it a try since your review has picked my interest again.

Tasha said...[Reply]

I'm the opposite, I started the series backwards. I've read Not Another Bad Date, now this one. I enjoyed this two, so I look forward to reading the first two of the series.

Senator said...[Reply]

Oh man, I totally HAVE to read this! Well, and the books leading up to it! Fabulous review! Thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...