Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: Home to Whiskey Creek by Brenda Novak



Publish Date: July 30, 2013
Kindle {p. 416 }
Series: Whiskey Creek #4
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publicist
Adelaide Davies, Noah Rackham


Sometimes home is the refuge you need-and sometimes it isn't Adelaide Davies, who's been living in Sacramento, returns to Whiskey Creek, the place she once called home. She's there to take care of her aging grandmother and to help with Gran's restaurant, Just Like Mom's. But Adelaide isn't happy to be back. There are too many people here she'd rather avoid, people who were involved in that terrible June night fifteen years ago.

Ever since the graduation party that changed her life, she's wanted to go to the police and make sure the boys responsible-men now-are punished. But she can't, not without revealing an even darker secret. So it's better to pretend....

Noah Rackham, popular, attractive, successful, is shocked when Adelaide won't have anything to do with him. He has no idea that his very presence reminds her of something she'd rather forget. He only knows that he's finally met a woman he could love.
How Addy was able to keep any semblance of sanity when she came into any kind of contact with the people involved in that tragic event from her past, I will never understand. I liked Addy, but I didn't really feel that the connection between her and Noah was all that strong. Yes, she claimed to have loved him all her life, but I didn't feel the chemistry between them like I did with the leads from the previous three books in this series.

The whole "whodunit" was more front and center while the romance of Noah and Addy took a backseat. Which I was fine with that, because I was a bit more interested in who kidnapped Addy than I was with the budding relationship between her and Noah.

I don't feel like I ever really connected with Noah. He was cool at moments, and then at others he seemed more like a petulant child. I didn't care for how he'd get upset when he was teased about his sexual exploits when that was the information or side of himself that he put out there.

One of his finest moments was dealing with Baxter and his family. That was enough for him to win me over. With that being said, I didn't dislike either of the characters, the chemistry just wasn't there with them. That all could be due to the subject matter the author was tackling. Overall it was a good book with strong secondary characters that draw you into the town. It's definitely a series I would love to read more of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...