Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Review: The Newcomer by Robyn Carr


Publish Date: June 25, 2013
Mass Market Paperback {p. 360}
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher
Mac McCain, Gina James


Single dad and Thunder Point's deputy sheriff "Mac" McCain has worked hard to keep everyone safe and happy. Now he's found his own happiness with Gina James. The longtime friends have always shared the challenges and rewards of raising their adolescent daughters. With an unexpected romance growing between them, they're feeling like teenagers themselves-suddenly they can't get enough of one another.

And just when things are really taking off, their lives are suddenly thrown into chaos. When Mac's long-lost-and not missed-ex-wife shows up in town, drama takes on a whole new meaning. They're wondering if their new feelings for each other can withstand the pressure...but they are not going down without a fight.
First off, I hated Downy. He seemed like such a great guy in the previous novel, with friending Landon when he was being harassed by the football team. Not in this book. Complete and total ass. The more I kept reading about him, the more I wish bad things to happen to him.

I felt so bad for Ashley. How could Downy have claimed to love her and be a party to things his new girlfriend was doing to her?

Cee Jay was a bit odd. She seemed to be able to changes emotions at the drop of a dime. That made me not trust her or her intentions. By the end, I was still left feeling unsure of her and what her plans might be.

Mac and Gina's relationship was pretty uneventful. Sure Mac's ex showed up but it didn't throw a wrench into their relationship like I thought it would. Gina and Mac's biggest issues were blending their families.

Cooper and Sarah also played a large part in this installment, and had some curves come their way. With Sarah, I didn't understand her need to withhold certain information from Cooper. I felt they had a better relationship than that, and she should have felt fine with discussing matters with him sooner. And the curve Cooper was thrown, well he handled it like a champ. He was a real class act. Carr managed to make me love him all the more.

There's only been two books of this series thus far and I've loved both. The characters are so well written that you become invested in their lives and the town. It never fails that when I pick up a Robyn Carr novel, it's like I'm visiting with friends.

1 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...[Reply]

I really liked it too. Can't wait to see what happens in the third book!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...